Sunday 6 November 2011

Summer in the City

I wrote this a month ago on campus at my university, but it has been sitting in my drafts folder until now
----------------------
It's almost summer here, and I have nothing to wear.

You would have thought this to be impossible with a wardrobe full of clothes... I guess like a lot of girls learning about Islam, my clothing choices have changed subtly.  I don't feel comfortable going outside in shorts now.. or skirts/dresses that aren't long enough to cover my legs completely.  And tops, too.  I'm wearing my 3/4 or full-length sleeves on a cyclical basis.  But the summer is only just beginning and sooner or later the weather will be climbing towards 40 degrees (Celsius).

Australian summers have this really great vibe to them.  The atmosphere is so positive (in my mind, at least).  The days get longer, the water warms up, the cicadas come out in droves..  Kids are all on summer holiday.  Some days just seem like they'll last forever.  My family & friends and I would pass our days together at the beach, road-tripping, camping, lounging out at the pool if they had one.. Such a relaxing time of the year.  Plus there's Christmas and New Years and also Australia Day, so it's a really festive time, too.

And did I mention I live one street from the beach?  I have to admit I love the beach.  I love swimming in the ocean.. feeling the sand and water on my skin.  Living near the beautiful Australian coast is great but I was never comfortable on the shore in a bikini.  I would always wear board shorts for some extra coverage.. but now is that enough?  No, not really.

So do I have to give up swimming?  Thinking I won't be chillin underwater this summer breaks my heart a little.  If only I had my own private beach, haha hah...  And going on road-trips, camping, and hanging out in the sun is going to be.. challenging.

Sometimes I think I'm getting ahead of myself.  I have to remind myself that I am not a Muslim yet!  Even if I take my shahada tomorrow, I know I don't have to change everything all at once.  Baby steps are key.


No comments:

Post a Comment